Thursday, February 14, 2013

Class Eval: Equinox Spin

Finally! Last night I made it to my long-awaited spin class. I raced to the gym after work to get on that damn bike by 6:30p. Has anyone ever tried to clip on the shoe holsters? Ouch! But proud to say I got it, only after I asked about 5 people for a quick how-to tutorial and some extreme amount of muscle. Darn those shoe holsters - but I was finally ready to go!

I want to quickly digress before I get into my eval of this class. My Mom has been spinning since I was about 10 years old. She would come home with her gel cushion, bike shoes and sweaty mess self - bottom line, I knew early on what this was all about. Because of this, I have always had a lot of exposure to spin, started young and really enjoy high-intensity workouts. I am not a spin pro and have yet to visit Soul Cycle to really test my endurance BUT I have been to classes that really kick ass.

Instructor: The instructor did a great job at making sure everyone was set before starting the class. Really sweet and had great music selection to ride to and keep you energized! I am used to having a little more heart pumping sprints and hill combinations to really take advance of the class and maximize your burn. I also like sprints that make you get out of the saddle, then back down, then up; in a really fast sequence. I think if she integrated some movement in the arms and some more interval training she would be dead on. Personally, I'm a big fan of instructors walking around the room to check technique, how hard you are working and really getting in there to help you make the most of your work out - but I do understand you have to be an extremely outgoing person to do this.

Intensity: I could really have used a LOT more intensity in the class. It seemed the crowd was there just to get their afternoon workout in. I think that if the music was louder and a few of the other items I noted were integrated into the routine, I would have definitely got what I came there for.

Spin Room: The spin room was excellent, ventilated perfectly so you didn't overheat and super clean.

Bike: The instructor kept encouraging us to check our RPM, yet when I was trying to get my bike to tell me that, it looked like it had yet to be programmed and we didn't receive any instruction on how to do so. Other than that and my holster problem (my fault), the bike was in great condition and I didn't have any issues during the class.

This class at Equinox was overall good. I did manage to burn 574 cals in my 50 minute class, so I definitely did work but I have been to better classes before. I am going to check out a few more instructors to better form my evaluation of the types of spin Equinox has to offer.

Although this wasn't my BEST experience, I encourage everyone to do spin. It is so invigorating and you feel awesome after and spinning has a great after-burn (you cont. to burn cals even when you're not working out).

Recommendation - for all of you New York city peeps, I highly suggest/demand you visit Crunch and check out any spin class taught by Carl. You'll know exactly what I am talking about and why I am craving a challenging spin routine.

A little R&R:

One of the main reasons I joined Equinox was that they have really nice amenities. I used to steam a lot when I lived in Vegas and loved it. Luckily, thanks to Equinox, I get to incorporate that back into my health regimen. After my spin class, I stepped into the steamy room for a nice post-workout relaxation time. By properly preparing, the steam room can be your best friend. You will want to make sure you are super hydrated before stepping in for a quick sesh, there are some great benefits:

  • Improves your skin. - steam opens up the pores and allows the toxins to leave the skin, it also increases blood flow to give you your well deserve glow
  • Helps heal muscle soreness - again, increases blood flow; blood has oxygen which your muscles need in order to recover. 
  • Relaxtion - need I say more?

After my much needed steam, I went home and made some delicious BBQ Turkey Burgers with the roomies! Recipe coming soon :)

Go check out a spin class ASAP